Verifying traffic sources is critical in helping Affiliates manage the performance of their links online. The Personal Area provides a tool that can verify web-based traffic sources to better understand the quality of this traffic. Only web-based traffic can be verified at this time; no social media site traffic, instant messengers, or app-based sources can be input.
How to access the traffic verification tool:
- Log in to your Personal Area.
- Click on your profile avatar, and select Account.
- Select Traffic Sources.
How does the traffic sources tool work?
Affiliates can create individual verification items, based on a single source of web-based traffic, by following these steps:
- Click +Create New to begin.
- Enter the Traffic source name, Traffic source type, and Traffic source URL, and copy the metatag shown here. Click Save to add this as an item to your Traffic Sources list.
- Add the metatag shown here into your traffic source’s code, following the instructions detailed below on how to include metatags before returning to these steps.
- Find the item in your Traffic Sources list as a draft, then click Verify to confirm the action.
Affiliates will receive a notification based on whether that traffic source is verified or rejected.
Traffic sources may be rejected for the following reasons:
- The source is invalid, i.e the domain is incorrect, offline, or does not exist. Please confirm the traffic source is valid and try again.
- The metatag cannot be located in the site code. Check the source code is correct and try again.
- Among other reasons the source may be rejected is when a manual check finds misleading information or content within the traffic source.
In all cases, the reason stated must be addressed before we can recommend trying the traffic sources tool again.
How do I include the metatag into my traffic source?
An important step to ensure verification can take place is adding the metatag code to your web traffic source.
- Access your website’s code; you can either use the content management system (CMS) or use an HTML editor to make changes to your site’s source code.
- Search for the < head > tag in your website’s source code. Paste the complete metatag string within this tag.
- Save the changes and publish the website with the metatag included.
- Your site will now be ready for verification (instructions above).
How does verification work?
- A traffic source must have your personal Affiliate’s metatag contained within the source code in order for the verification to succeed (this also ensures access verifies ownership).
- The status of the verification will be displayed in the traffic sources list.
- A possible follow up check on the site’s content can also be expected in the verification process.
About the traffic sources list
The traffic sources list maintains all verification items as drafts or verified items.
- The traffic sources list includes a search function to easily locate specific traffic source items.
- Clicking the 3-dot menu on any item will bring up options to Edit the item, or Delete the item. Please note that editing the item may subject this traffic source to another verification, and does not guarantee the same result of the original item.